Navigation: Constitution Of India > Part-16: Special Provisions Relating To Certain Classes > Article 330
Article 330: Reservation of seats for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in the House of the People
330(1): Seats shall be reserved in the House of the People(Lok Sabha) for —
(a) the Scheduled Castes;
(b)1 the Scheduled Tribes except the Scheduled Tribes in the autonomous districts of Assam; and]
(c) the Scheduled Tribes in the autonomous districts of Assam.
330(2): The number of seats reserved in any State 2or Union territory for the Scheduled Castes or the Scheduled Tribes under clause (1) shall bear, as nearly as may be, the same proportion to the total number of seats allotted to that State 1or Union territory in the House of the People as the population of the Scheduled Castes in the State 1or Union territory or of the Scheduled Tribes in the State 1or Union territory or part of the State or Union territory, as the case may be, in respect of which seats are so reserved, bears to the total population of the State 1or Union territory.
330(3): 3Notwithstanding anything contained in clause (2), the number of seats reserved in the House of the People for the Scheduled Tribes in the autonomous districts of Assam shall bear to the total number of seats allotted to that State a proportion not less than the population of the Scheduled Tribes in the said autonomous districts bears to the total population of the State.
Explanation:- 4 In this article and in article 332, the expression “population” means the population as ascertained at the last preceding census of which the relevant figures have been published:
Provided that the reference in this Explanation to the last preceding census of which the relevant figures have been published shall, until the relevant figures for the first census taken after the year 52026 have been published, be construed as a reference to the 62001 census.
- Substituted by the 51st Constitutional Amendment Act, 1984, s. 2, for sub-clause (b) (w.e.f. 16-6-1986).
- Inserted by the 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956, s. 29 and Schedule (w.e.f. 1-11-1956).
- Inserted by the 31st Constitutional Amendment Act, 1973, s. 3 (w.e.f. 17-10-1973).
- Inserted by the 42nd Constitutional Amendment Act, 1976, s. 47 (w.e.f. 3-1-1977).
- Substituted by the 84th Constitutional Amendment Act, 2001, s. 6, for “2000” (w.e.f. 21-2-2001).
- Substituted by the 87th Constitutional Amendment Act, 2003, s. 5 for “1991” (w.e.f. 22-6-2003).
-Text in Constitution