Whether you are an aspirant preparing to enter the defense forces or a common citizen of the country, it is always meaningful to know about our military forces and hear from the soldiers about their life in the military. Their disciplined demeanor and dashing exterior compel us to find out what goes into building such a person.
We are always so curious to know how an individual joining the military forces at a delicate age turns into an indomitable being with a strong body and even stronger mind.
National Defense Academy instills a masterful combination of leadership, comradeship, and selflessness in their individuals. Not just us but the world believes that the Indian defense institutes are remarkable at their responsibility however hard it is as they train the second biggest army in the world.
About 28 countries send their eligible candidates to NDA to train. These institutions are known to make individuals who are well aware of themselves and their surroundings, far away from the limitations of the mundanity and capable of ensuring the security of the country.
Through this article, we will find out some of the most interesting facts about the National Defence Academy.
Find out about the upcoming UPSC NDA exam dates and begin the preparation now!
The National Defence Academy – 12 Interesting Facts
The National Defense Academy (NDA), a joint services academy is located in Khadakwasla, Pune, Maharashtra where individuals before being commissioned in the army, navy, and airforce get trained together.
Every year the Union Public Services Commission conducts a national level exam called the UPSC NDA/NA to select eligible candidates for NDA.
The points mentioned below will help you know more about one of the most pursued and popular defense institutes in the world
- The foundation stone of the National Defense Academy was laid on 6th October 1949 by the then prime minister of India Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. It was commissioned on 7th December 1954. It is the first tri-services academy in the world.
- The primary intention behind building NDA was to bring individuals from all walks of life, customs and beliefs together for serving the after proper conditioning.
- Before the commission of NDA, the idea of having a tri-service academy began on 1st January 1949 and was being carried out as Joint Services Wing at the Indian Military Academy Dehradun.
- The shifting of the concept and aids from Dehradun to Pune was carried out under the name ‘Mission Badli’.
- Major General E Habibullah became the first commandant of NDA. The current commandant of the academy is Lt Gen Jatinder Singh.
- The administrative headquarters are named ‘Sudan Block’ in honor of the soldiers who fought fearlessly for Sudan during WWII.
- The current logo of the NDA was commissioned in 1948 and it signifies chivalry and sacrifice.
- NDA possesses 3 Param Vir Chakra recipients and 12 Ashoka Chakra recipients amongst its notable alumni.
- To date, it has produced 27 service Chiefs of Staff. The present Chiefs of the army, navy and air force are from NDA and belong to the same duration.
- Whether it is Lt. Col Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, India’s first individual Olympics medal winner, or Wing Commander Rakesh Sharma, the first India to fly in space are both from NDA.
- The uniform of the cadets in NDA is khaki to represent homogeneity and aunty.
- Recently, the Supreme Court of India has passed an order in August 2021 allowing females to appear for the NDA entrance examination.
Furthermore, click on the UPSC NDA admit card to know how to access and download it for further use.