Navigation: Constitution Of India > Part-12: Finance, Property, Contracts And Suits > Chapter 1: Finance > Distribution of Revenues between the Union and the States > Article 268
Article 268: Duties levied by the Union but collected and appropriated by the States
268(1): Such stamp duties 1*** as are mentioned in the Union List shall be levied by the Government of India but shall be collected-
- (a) in the case where such duties are leviable within any 3Union territory, by the Government of India, and
- (b) in other cases, by the States within which such duties are respectively leviable.
268(2): The proceeds in any financial year of any such duty leviable within any State shall not form part of the Consolidated Fund of India, but shall be assigned to that State.
- The words “and such duties of excise on medicinal and toilet preparations” omitted by the 101st Constitutional Amendment Act, 2016, s. 6 (w.e.f. 16-9-2016).
- Substituted by the 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956, s. 29 and Sch., for “State specified in Part C of the First Schedule” (w.e.f. 1-11-1956).
Article 268A: 3Service tax levied by Union and collected and appropriated by the Union and the State.—Omitted by the Constitution (One Hundred and First Amendment) Act, 2016, s. 7 (w.e.f. 16-9-2016).
- Article 268A was inserted by the 89th Constitutional Amendment Act, 2003, s. 2. For the text of that Act, see Appendix-III (date of enforcement yet to be notified).
-Text in Constitution