Navigation: Indian Penal Code > Chapter 11: Of False Evidence And Offences Against Public Justice > IPC Section 195
IPC Section 195: Giving Or Fabricating False Evidence With Intent To Procure Conviction Of Offence Punishable With Imprisonment For Life Or Imprisonment
Whoever gives or fabricates false evidence intending thereby to cause, or knowing it to be likely that he will thereby cause, any person to be convicted of an offence which1 by the law for the time being in force in 2 India is not capital, but punishable with 3 imprisonment for life, or imprisonment for a term of seven years or upwards, shall be punished as a person convicted of that offence would be liable to be punished.
A gives false evidence before a Court of Justice, intending thereby to cause Z to be convicted of a dacoity. The punishment of dacoity is 4 imprisonment for life, or rigorous imprisonment for a term which may extend to ten years, with or without fine. A, therefore, is liable to5 imprisonment for life or imprisonment, with or without fine.
- Subs. by the A.O. 1948, for “by the law of British India or England”.
- Subs.by Act 3 of 1951, s. 3 and Schedule, for “the States”.
- Subs. by Act 26 of 1955, s. 117 and Schedule, for “transportation for life” (w.e.f. 1-1-1956).
- Subs. by s. 117 and the Schedule, ibid., for “transportation for life” (w.e.f. 1-1-1956).
- Subs. by s. 117 and the Schedule, ibid., for “such transportation” (w.e.f. 1-1-1956).
-Text In Indian Penal Code