Navigation: Indian Penal Code> Chapter 6: Of Offences Against The State > IPC Section 124
IPC Section 124: Assaulting President. Governor, Etc., With Intent To Compel Or Restrain The Exercise Of Any Lawful Power
Whoever, with the intention of inducing or compelling the 1 President of India, or 2 Governor 3 *** of any 4 State, 5 *** 6 *** 7*** to exercise or refrain from exercising in any manner any of the lawful powers of such 8President or 2 Governor 3 ***,
assaults or wrongfully restrains, or attempts wrongfully to restrain, or overawes, by means of criminal force or the show of criminal force, or attempts so to overawe, such 8President or 2 Governor 3 ***,
shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.
- Subs. by the ibid., for “Governor General”.
- Subs. by Act 3 of 1951, s. 3 and the Sch., for “Governor”.
- The words “or Rajpramukh” omitted by the A. O. 1956.
- Subs. by the A. O. 1950, for “Province” which had been subs. by the A. O. 1937, for “Presidency”.
- The words “or a Lieutenant-Governor” omitted by the A. O. 1937.
- The words “or a Member of the Council of the Governor General of India” omitted by the A.O. 1948.
- The words “or of the Council of any Presidency” omitted by the A. O. 1937.
- The words “Governor General, Governor, Lieutenant-Governor or Member of Council” have successively been amended by the A.O. 1937, the A. O. 1948 and the A. O. 1950 to read as above/
-Text In Indian Penal Code